Mac HD window closes immediately after double clicking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by susanrandom, Feb 20, 2010.

1. susanrandom macrumors newbie

When i double click the HD icon on my desktop the screen flashes real quickly and the window pops open and closes. If i use the 'Go' option in the menu bar i can only view in column mode. when i chose list mode the window flashes and closes immediately.

ALSO when i got to view options.. i do not have all the choices. the bottom half of the window is missing (ie:show items, snap to grid etc)

Anyone know WHY? i have tried trashing the finder plist from preferences.. to no avail. i have zapped PRAM. i have used disk util to repair. Any other ideas?

i am running 10.4.11 on 20" imac 2gh 2mb

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Should have created another user account before you pulled the plist. I suggest safe booting, it'll block any 3rd party background/startup applications and let you diagnose if the issue is with something installed on the computer or something flawed in the OS. If it works as expected in safe boot, look in the login items for your account in Accounts preferences, and in /Library/StartupItems. If something still is off and you already panned out in the other user account a reinstall of the OS may be warranted.

3. susanrandom thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your input..
    i tried logging in as another user and had the same issue. i recently backed up my comp and restarted from that ext HD and had the same problem opening original HD icon. No probs with the ext hard drive HD icon.
    i am wondering if a game i downloaded that could have done this. it was either aperion or a centipede game and if so.. how do i fix it and why would it have just dorked up these two things?
    i have checked startup items and cant seem to find anything that i think may be causing. not sure how to start up in safe mode and i really cant see reinstalling software.... uhhhgg

Just Tried SAFE BOOT and still have same problem.