Mac HDD not appearing on windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rlnplehshalo, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Hello all, here is my problem.

Whenever I insert my snow leopard disc and install the bootcamp drivers onto my windows 7 32bit partition, I recieve a boot error and can't boot into windows because it is corrupt. I then have to restore from an earlier point in time at the boot option screen to fix this. Apparently windows users are able to view the Mac HDD as a normal hard drive on 'My Computer', if this is true how would I go about enabling the use of this ever so great feature?
    Please Note I have the NTFS explorer application and its very cluttery and complicated to use.

Thanks in advance,
    RLNplehshalo.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is a feature of the Boot Camp 3.x drivers as you suspect.

You might be able to download the most recent version using some instructions that were recently posted here. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12105399&postcount=12

Download one of those pkg files and extract the appropriate MSI file from OS X. Then use that to install on your Mac instead of the version from the install disc.

If that still doesn't work, extract the specific drivers from the MSI and install those.

Two questions:

1) Which Mac?
    2) Is your Windows 7 using a language other than English? IIRC there are only a limited number of languages the Boot Camp drivers support.

B

3. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll have to try that tomorrow it's getting late. I have a 2009 24" iMac 2.66ghz with windows 7 English ultimate 32 bit.

4. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

No luck:/ Do you know the name of the exact driver that enables windows to read the mac's HDD?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I believe it's AppleMNT.sys and AppleHFS.sys.

B

6. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Can't seem to find those particular files on the snow leopard disc. Would you know where I could download them?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Well when I was just about to give up I inserted the snow leopard disc once again, what did I have to lose? And after installing the drivers restarted and I could see my Mac's HDD! a true miracle!
    But I can't seem to view any files from user/"usernamehere" its just an emtpy folder, any ideas?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There's a known problem with early versions of the driver and a .Xauthority hidden file conflict. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=775422 for example.

Try upgrading your drivers with Apple Software Update or delete .Xauthority while booted to OS X.

B

10. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks balamw that made my day. I just had to delete the .xauthority file by installing a preference panel pane called 'Secrets' and select show hidden files and bam! I'm playing my tunes in windows:)