Mac Health tips for brand new system

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by puuukeey, May 19, 2009.

1. puuukeey macrumors 6502

my sister got drunk and passed out on my old laptop nearly bending the poor thing in half. Trying to see this as an opportunity, I'm planning on reinstalling everything.

I tend to keep a pretty sloppy computer.

Can I get some tips for keeping my computer running fast, organized and error free through out it's life time? I want my new computer to work like the one in the store all the time.

For instance...
    How do you manage evil garbage heaps like your desktop and downloads folders?
    How do you make sure your /Library/ files get put into the correct /Library/ folder?
    How do you organize your documents?
    Do you make use of smart folders?
    other tips are more than welcom

2. waffles123 macrumors regular

Hazel seems to do mostly what you want. But it does cost money.

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I'd also recommend mainmenu, app cleaner, and possibly onyx- beware with onyx you can potentially really screw things up quite easily. so make sure you know what your doing before hand :)

Other than that, i tend to have a day a week where i reach a climax of the amount of crap on my desktop and therefore feel the need to delete or move some stuff :)

PTP
    :apple:

4. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Get in the habit of selecting the proper folder for downloaded items when you download instead of just letting it go to your desktop or download folder.

Also i keep a folder on my desktop that i put things in that i am really not sure if i need or not.. This keeps your desktop clean. I review this on the first of every month and delete or organize its contents.

5. puuukeey thread starter macrumors 6502