Mac Help Function

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fontface, Oct 13, 2009.

1. fontface macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what I'm missing. The help screens are just about non-existent. I'm used to Microsoft's voluminous help screens and now I can barely find anything I want to when I need help on how to do something. It's disappointing, especially since I'm a Mac newbie and there are lots of things I want to find out. I guess a manual is in order. I don't know if this is a Leopard characteristic or a general Mac characteristic. Thanks.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Get a book if you like detailed information. If you are new ot Macs, here's a recommendation -- Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition By David Pogue (if you are using Snow Leopard, there is a different edition for that).

[Think "simple" and hopefully it will start to make sense.]

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The "Help" menu has evolved a bit over the years. What it's currently good for in Leopard/Snow Leopard is finding functions within apps (a feature I enjoy, and the only time I really ever use the menu). It's kind of up to individual apps how much help is provided. Some developers may put complete tutorials in there but often it will be quite spartan.

It is a bit different overall from what Windows has. I find that MS's help feature varies in quality as well even just within standard Windows operations. I find it's usually way too basic for what I'm looking for and wish it could just help me find the particular setting I'm looking for (even Win7 has a ways to go to compete with what Apple did with Spotlight and the Help menu search, even though Spotlight could still be a lot better).