Mac HFS Data Recovery Software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eluzion, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Eluzion macrumors 6502

My friends iBook hard drive has crashed and I'm in the process of replacing it. However, he had a lot of important data on that hard drive that he needs recovered. Is there any software that you can recommend (for Windows or OS X) that will recover data from corrupt/bad hard drives? I have software for NTFS/FAT32 but don't know of any good ones for HFS. Thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The best one I have used is TestDisk (free).

Data Rescue II $99 but with a free trial to show you what it could recover

FileSalvage $89.95

I'm sure there are others out there as well.

3. Eluzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Appreciate the quick response!

Do you know of any software that will allow you to recovery data through Target mode as well? Just curious for future reference. I hate taking apart Macs and being able to quickly recover data through Target mode would be awesome. ;)

4. WankerWeasel macrumors newbie

Both FileSalvage and Data Rescue II will allow you to recover from a machine attached in Target Disk Mode. FileSalvage also has a free preview that will show recoverable files before you buy. Good luck.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

haven't used target disk mode in a while but doesn't target disk mode mount the other computer as a drive, if so all the tools should work.

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

7. numlock macrumors 68000

8. TheDoctah macrumors member

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

10. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

I've downloaded the Demo of Data Recovery II, but I don't want to have to pay £40 to recover my own files that have been deleted by another user who shouldn't be able to do so. Yes its my own fault not setting this up correctly. But surely there is a way to do so within OS X?

PLEASE?

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

No way to recover data in OS X without third party software.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not in my experience, it is good but have found the best to be testdisk as linked above. That said there were files recovered by Data Resuce that weren't by testdisk and visa versa however testdisk recovered far more.

I used to do lots of recovery tasks in my spare time at university.

13. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Surely this should/ could be a standard feature for OS X. I know we have time machine, but its expensive for those like myself who have a large music collection & not enough storage. My music is on a 1Tb drive & my films an a 500Gb drive. Eventually will get 2 Drobo's & use one for a back up for the other but until I can afford that I'm stuck. Admittedly it transpires that I deleted the folder with music in but still, I would have thought it to be something of a good feature?

Oh well.

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've recovered more with testdisk, too, but most of the files that it picked up but Data Rescue didn't were partially overwritten. Data Rescue seems to only recover files that are 100% intact.

If you're not scared by an old school interface, testdisk and photorec are the way to go.