'Mac' Home Theater Questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Earley008, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Earley008 macrumors member

I am a Student and In my room i have a 19'tv set up where i can comfortably watch it my mac sits on my desk and i have movies etc. that i cant watch comfortably - As well as iplayer, ITV catchup etc. I have a few questions though about the best set up. REMEMBER I am a poor student so dont want to be buying apple tvs etc (even tho i want to)

1. If i get a mini DVI to connect my macbook to tv what is the best connecter to use, where shall i get it from and shall i buy a converter then lead or an all in one?? What is everyone elses experiences

2. If I use front row can i use my iPhone to control it? I had a look but could not find anything. Can anyone recommend another good alternative?? Especially if i can use my iPhone to control it!

3. Any other advice??

2. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Hey,

I was in a similar situation as you are now so I will tell you what I did.

I use the Apple Remote for front row. You can find them pretty cheap on ebay instead of buying them for $29 from Apple. I was able to find an extra one for $10 (including shipping). My original Macbook came with one so I guess

If you have a standard TV use this...
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjE0NTg3OQ It's $19 and will use composite or s-video.

Resolution isn't going to be that great for standard computing but it's passable if you are just trying to get a couple things done. You might also consider a bluetooth mouse for other things.

Hope this helps

3. Earley008 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that Im only really using the TV for watching films and TV shows that i have started ripping in and buying.

My TV does have a VGA and this will stop me having to unplug wires when i use other inputs so do you think that will be alrite. and for the films do you know if there will be a delay from the audio and picture image??

Thanks for your time;)