Mac HTML Editor?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tipem, Feb 20, 2009.

1. tipem macrumors member

My friend is looking for a Mac-compatible WYSIWYG HTML editor. I am personally a coder and would do it all in code, but she's looking for little to no HTML coding, just WYSIWYG.

Any good ones out there? I'm not familiar with any.

Thanks in advanced. Let me know. :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you search the forums? There are plenty of threads on this topic already.

Anyway... iWeb, part of iLife, isn't a bad choice by any means, but you may find its limitations, well, limiting. If this happens, it's time to move up to something like RapidWeaver.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Hit the stickies, it's what they're good for.

Dreamweaver, KompoZer

5. Spartan1250 macrumors newbie

NVu's alright; personally, I prefer Dreamweaver. Hell, NVu is free:apple:

6. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Freeway Express 5

I used Freeway Express 5 to make my site (see link below). I'm no coder either, and wanted something that was as easy to use but powerful enough to make a website as I wanted it to be. iWeb I found too basic and I didn't get on with the way Rapidweaver worked. Freeway works rather like a desktop publishing program, imo.

Freeway (£46), Fetch (£21) and TextEdit are my new best friends! I found the price of Freeway great for what it can do. Fetch I think is a little steep, but then again it works great. Cyberduck is a free ftp program but I had so many problems getting it to work I stumped up for Fetch and haven't looked back since. Both Freeway and Fetch offer 30 day fully functional trials.

There is a Pro version of Freeway too, which allows even more advanced functions, but I'm not that far into web design yet!

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

why not just use xcode? I think this a wonderful (free) IDE.

Edit: Nevermind -- didn't see that the person didn't know HTML code.

8. torndownunit macrumors regular

Flux is another option. I have been trying out the Flux 2 Beta, and it's turning into a pretty impressive application. Beta 1 showed a lot of promise, and 2 is coming along fantastic.

Kompozer is free as mentioned, and feels a little like using a word processor application. Which makes is easy for people to pickup.

I have never been a fan of Freeway, but a lot of people who are used to using page layout programs and want something similar seem to really like it.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because the OP isn't looking for an IDE, they're looking for an HTML Editor. HTML isn't a programming language, it's a markup language. You don't need to compile anything to make it work.

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

thanks for the info -- I must have missed that in my masters of software engineering.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, you must have.

Freeware, as Paduang suggests, sounds like something that could interest the OP. iWeb or RapidWeaver are also good suggestions. WYSIWYG editors only take you so far, but those three are pretty much as good as it gets.

12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

IMHO you can't go past the following:

- Text Wrangler
    - CSS Edit
    - Coda

And there's Dreamweaver if you have some spare cash just sitting around :cool: