Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ocelot

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
Canada
Windows users and .mac

Will windows users soon be using and purchasing dot mac??

Interesting move...

actually... why XP? why not 2000/XP/NT? would that be so difficult?

my school uses win 2000... hmm

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Very nice. Works great too.
attachment.php

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
could be a convienent little gateway to attract more windows users

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by railthinner
Is this the first ever app Apple has produced for Windows?
Appleworks has been available for Windows.
Filemaker is also an asset of Apple's.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by railthinner
Is this the first ever app Apple has produced for Windows?

Um... not even close...
Sure apple likes making mac-only apps but I believe apple has maken other products I think appleworks (ha) runs on PC. (yeah it does).

I'm sorta-of supprised at this but atleast they didn't give .Mac accounts (trial) to pc.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman

I'm sorta-of supprised at this but atleast they didn't give .Mac accounts (trial) to pc.
Well, it was originally meant to be one of those selling points of the mac when it was free, but now it would be reasonable to offer it to windows users, but probably a pain in the arse to support

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
doh. Alright, bury me in banana peels. I completely overlooked Quicktime. I guess I was a bit taken back.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I personally think that this can be considered a subtle sign of Apple's coming agression in the PC market. Not talking about marklar or anything, but more along the lines of superior software solutions for PC's, something we mac users see as a daily luxury.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Re: Windows users and .mac

Originally posted by Ocelot
Will windows users soon be using and purchasing dot mac??

Interesting move...

actually... why XP? why not 2000/XP/NT? would that be so difficult?

my school uses win 2000... hmm

If the program works on XP it should work on 2000, download it and give it a try :]

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by MrMacman
Quicktime, clarisworks (well didn't become an 'apple' product intill) appleworks.
actually, i believe claris was always a division of apple. anyway, it's interesting to watch the ms vs. apple war begin to heat up. the page 2 rumors note that apple may have purchaced mariner (among others), lending more credibility to a forthcoming office suite. i think that now that itools (pardon me, .mac) is a pay service, apple should offer it to windows users as a taste of our goodies. i think we'll see even more drastic measures in the months ahead as apple and ms go at each others throats. fortunately, apple has the ability to keep things secret until the last minute, while ms has to give away its plans months in advance just so that people will be impressed.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
More Pro Features

I wish Apple would add a database (MySQL), mailing lists, ftp, etc. These things are needed for me to switch 100% to my .Mac address. I do have a .Mac account and my own domain because I need the pro features.

I have had the occasion to ftp software and files to my domain and then remotely, copy them to another machine out of my office. And, I do use MySQL for ease of maintaining my exciting web page :rolleyes:. And, I use mailing lists to gather 'card' games with my friends.

Hopefully, this is just the first (or second) step down that path.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i guess now we cant say apple didnt realease anything new today.

iJon

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Originally posted by timbloom
I personally think that this can be considered a subtle sign of Apple's coming agression in the PC market. Not talking about marklar or anything, but more along the lines of superior software solutions for PC's, something we mac users see as a daily luxury.

I tend to disagree. While I think Apple is going to "Wintelize" some apps, I doubt thet will go balls to the wall into the PC software market. I think Apple would get crushed by MS and others that feel threatened by the Apple products on Wintel boxes.

I predict that Apple will make nice "niche" apps for the Wintel machines, things that will make sense for pc owners to buy. I wouldn't buy Keynote and drop Powerpoint, or Appleworks and drop Office on my pc's at work, but I would be interested in both for the PC's that do not require FULL MS Office appilcations, as long as the Apple apps save into MS format (doc, xls etc), without ANY conversion problems.

I can see this happening, my first hint Apple existed was because I used Quicktime that came bundled on win95 :]

iSmell

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by timbloom
I personally think that this can be considered a subtle sign of Apple's coming agression in the PC market.

I think this can be considered a boring insignificant yawn of an announcement. Who cares? They're not going to lure an switchers with .Mac (they're lucky just to keep current subscribers) and they should just make everything ftp accessible, then you wouldn't need a special utility for pc or for Linux or OS/2 or whatever else you might want to access you iDisk from.

Call me when they announce PHP, MySQL, and FTP support.

Unimpressed.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by iJon
i guess now we cant say apple didnt realease anything new today.

iJon
Only I wish that what they released came in 10, 20, and 40 GB versions.... :(

Oh well; it's still something Apple.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Just on a side note, for those of you who don't know (I would imagine most of you do), it has been possible to easily access your iDisk from your PC for a long time.
All you had to do was add a "network place" with the address http://idisk.mac.com/YourDotMacUserName and then you would be able to get to everything just the same as with this utility (accept it doesn't actually mount it as a drive with a letter).

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
actually, i believe claris was always a division of apple. anyway, it's interesting to watch the ms vs. apple war begin to heat up. the page 2 rumors note that apple may have purchaced mariner (among others), lending more credibility to a forthcoming office suite. i think that now that itools (pardon me, .mac) is a pay service, apple should offer it to windows users as a taste of our goodies. i think we'll see even more drastic measures in the months ahead as apple and ms go at each others throats. fortunately, apple has the ability to keep things secret until the last minute, while ms has to give away its plans months in advance just so that people will be impressed.

Yes, Claris was always owned by Apple. The office suite only became ClarisWorks when they spun off Claris. Later they bring them back into Apple, and call ClarisWorks by the name AppleWorks again. For many years, Claris was the only thing profitable thing Apple had. It is probably one of the big reasons Apple was able to stay afloat, even with tremendous losses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.