Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonnorm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Milford, MA
I am hoping someone can help me understand what is occurring here.

Basically, I have a number of rules configured in Mail.app to route incoming emails to the various folders in my .Mac account. All of the email is stored on the server and all of the folders reside on the server (I do not keep "local" copies for myself on my mac).

This works just fine in Mail.app and also works perfectly in the .Mac web mail interface. Meaning, if I receive a new email "from me at work" it gets routed to the "Me from Work" folder on the .Mac server and appears as a new mail in both Mail.app and online .Mac web interface. I am notified by the little "1" next to the folder that I have a new mail.

Now the problem comes in when I am viewing my .Mac mail via my iPhone. I do not get notified that there is a new mail in a specific folder UNLESS I manually go into that folder despite that fact that the phone automatically checks for new emails every 30 minutes. e-mails that simply get routed to my inbox appear just fine on my iPhone. So, it would appear that the IMAP .Mac implementation on the iPhone only checks for messages in our "inbox" versus all messages in your account. :eek:

Has anyone else noticed this problem? :confused:

Also, I notice that if I "move" or "delete" a .Mac email from my iPhone, that move or deletion does not occur on either the .Mac web client or in Mail.app. If I move or delete email from Mail.app or the .Mac web interface, the move or delete occurs on the iPhone.

I have my mail settings configured to store EVERYTHING on the server, so as I understand it, a change on the server should occur for all clients. Why is the iPhone implementation working differently?

Any answers to these questions would be appreciated as this is a small nuisance, but a nuisance none the less. :confused:

Thanks!! :D
-Jason

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Mail on the iPhone has no version of "message rules" to route specific messages to specific folders. It would be nice if it did!

jasonnorm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Milford, MA
But, since my rules are being applied on the client (Mail.app) and I am moving the emails on the .Mac server (not to local folders on my Mac) they should also be moved on the iPhone and infact they are.

I just do not get any notification that they are on the iPhone unless I specifically go into that folder. It SHOULD be checking all folders in my mailbox for new messages automatically. Not just the inbox (which is what appears to be occuring).

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
But, since my rules are being applied on the client (Mail.app) and I am moving the emails on the .Mac server (not to local folders on my Mac) they should also be moved on the iPhone and infact they are.

I just do not get any notification that they are on the iPhone unless I specifically go into that folder. It SHOULD be checking all folders in my mailbox for new messages automatically. Not just the inbox (which is what appears to be occuring).

The notification is only for the inbox and the auto check is also only for the mailbox as far as I understand.

jasonnorm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Milford, MA
So that is a different implementation on the iPhone than Mail.app correct?

if so, why would they do this? Do you think it is a "bug"?

I am trying to determine if I should invest the time in working with Apple on this to try and figure out why. :mad:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

Yahoo Push works the same. I am hoping for a future fix.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
But this is no different than Mail.app on the Mac. I have an eMac setup and all it does it check mail all day long to catch and re-loacte spam into the spam folder. This way it stays off my iPhone. Other filters send invoices to a certain folder and family messages to another.

Now when I bring my laptop home, which has not had net access all day, it syncs but I only get a new mail alert if some end up in the inbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.