Mac/iMovie compatability with Panasonic HDC footage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Matt Crowhurst, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Matt Crowhurst macrumors newbie

Hey There

Having trouble getting footage off my Panasonic HDC-SD10 camcorder to either watch it or edit it on my Mac. Have just upgraded to latest OS and iLife but still no joy.

Originally, because of not being able to import into old iMovie, save '.MTS' files(found under >AVDCHD>BDMV>STREAM)as these were the biggest files I could find on the SD card. These files don't want to import into iMovie but I did manage to convert one as a test in Handbrake although the quality is terrible and it is very stuttery.

Can anyone help with converting these files into something I can use to view and edit at their original full HD quality. Or at the very least, a good enough quality for the web.

Thanks for your help!

MC

2. Matt Crowhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Issues with importing footage from Panasonic HDC to iMovie

Following up on my last post, I can't import anything to my Mac at all, iMovie simply isn't recognizing my camera even though the camera itself is in 'PC' mode!

Are there drivers I need for the camera to work or something?

Thanks

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

You will need to either try to get a driver from Panasonic or mount the CF card directly as a drive ( buy a reader ). I have a feeling if you used to be able to do this within the camera, a driver might exist.

Anyway then you need to convert your MTS file to Quicktime with the AIC codec. There are several different programs that will do this for cheap ( ~ $30 ) but no good free options that I am aware of.
    One of them starts with a "V" and for the life of me i can't remember it.

Good luck

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The TM10 is supported by iMovie '09: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290. There is no need for drivers (!) or third-party software.

If you connect the camcorder to your Mac via USB, switch it on (you'll probably need to do this by connecting the camcorder to the main with the AC adpater: check the user guide for the TM10), and open iMovie, does the import window not open?

The other option is to use a USB card reader, unless your clips are saved on the internal memory, in which case stick to the instructions above.

5. Matt Crowhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Panasonic HDC-SD10 & Mac compatability

Thanks for you reply!

Have tried all the above and none of this works. The camera doesn't pop up on any list in iMovie, which I think is because it is a SD camcorder, but when trying to import the files on the SD card, none of them are readable by iMovie.

Have tried converting the files in Handbrake but they lose all quality and end missing frames so the footage is all over the place.

I've heard there is a programme that can convert the files - does anyone know what they are?

Thanks

6. Matt Crowhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the response. The programme you're thinking of is Volcaic and I've tried to use it and it converted the file to a .MOV file but the quality is terrible.

So far the only way I have been able to view the footage is with it still on the camera. Since filling the Card up I have had to transfer it to my Laptop and now can't view it.

Any other thoughts?

Matt

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I believe you're thinking of Voltaic.

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

Ah yes, that's the one. Thank you Matt and spice weasel.

What codec are you saving it as when you convert it to an MOV file?
    What parameters did you use?

9. Matt Crowhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, its Voltaic and it didn't give me any options as far as parameters go. Literally just drop the file in and press 'play'. I guess I might need to buy an upgraded version of the programme but not sure which one, there are loads to choose from!

MC