Mac iMovie: How to find imported video resolution?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PicnicTutorials, Feb 28, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

1. How do I find the native resolution of the video I imported?
    2. If I select a clip from the bottom portion (of the program) and click share the largest it will allow me to export at is standard definition (something low). But if I instead click create > movie > and drag those same clips into the project, then I can export that same movie in HD (720 something). So what exactly is happening here? I'm guessing the native res is SD but if I do create then I can stretch it to HD? Is that about right? I'm guessing that is not preferable. Would I be right? So which brings me to my first question above.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you install VLC (free) for OSX, then load your video and hit the tools tab there is an option there to give you ALL the information you need.

I don't use iMovie, so can't help with that...You'd think there would be a way of detecting the source format and size. Perhaps iMovie users will know, but VLC will definitely do the job.

3. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

doing...Click on one of your clips in the Event to select it (you see a yellow border on the clip). Go to File>Reveal in Finder. In Finder, right click (or control click) on the file and choose "Open in Quicktime." When the file opens in QuickTime, go to Window>Show Movie Inspector and take a screenshot of the inspector window and upload here.

It shows me that my video res is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 x 480 (640 x 480)

So based on that what should I be exporting it to? hd 720 or sd 640?