Mac in workplace

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tl01, Jun 9, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

Hubby and I are starting a business. I will be working the business... not hubby. I haven't used a windows computer for more than about 5 mins in the last 11 years. I have always been an everything mac person. Never owned a windows machine, just used them when forced at work;). We are working with a franchise and the franchisor says that everything can be done on a Mac. Hubby thinks this is a bad decision bc we were using a spreadsheet from the franchisor and it didn't translate perfectly into Numbers. It could have been user error too. I intended on buying Microsoft Office suite as well and feel that would likely have remedied the situation. Almost everything we will be doing is web based and the only thing they require is a quick network connection which is fine with me. Would you hesitate to go Mac? Obviously the cost is higher but I will likely just need three computers to start. A desktop, something like a mini, and a laptop.

Also, I assume since the new release with the MacBook, that this weekend would be a good time to get a laptop. Lastly, how is MS Office working nowadays? Is it a monthly purchase/yearly? Can you just buy it outright? Where is the best place to buy it?

Thanks so much in advance!

2. MainStream macrumors member

MainStream

Congrats on the new business. I own a business that requires we communicate and share files with businesses that use both PC's and Mac's. The latest version of MS-Office works great. We have no issues at all in exchanging files internally or externally from Mac to PC or PC to Mac.

3. psymac macrumors 6502

I use VMware and emulate Windows for a couple of proprietary programs, works great.Your other option is to create a Boot Camp and load Windows separately.

Microsoft windows works great, and the best solution for my office is to use the early subscription plan from Microsoft.

You may want to wait on the desktop purchase, and just plug the laptop into an external monitor. The Mac Mini should be updated sometime soon, hopefully by the end of the year.

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I ended up with a MacBook Pro. So far setting it up on all the company systems has worked okay. Hope it continues to go okay. Thanks for the help!