Mac Insurance & Dent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattkidd, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

My 13" 2010 just slip right out of my hands and fell directly on its airport part at the back :eek: just noticed the left rear size of the screen has dented and is now out of place compared to the right side. I imagine the whole screen assembly needs replacing to fix this. The Mac is insured and has the AppleCare extended warranty. How likely do you believe it would be that the insurance company (Regardless who it is) will replace/repair/payout for the claim. If so how would i go about actually fixing it if they were to payout ,Apple? im only 17 this whole process is rather alien to me :confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

AppleCare won't come in to play at all
    So it would depend on your insurance policy (and deductible)

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

d. need more info.

Did you get actual insurance or did you just get a store type thing that extends the manufacturer warranty but doesn't include accidental damage. I've seen both.

Apple won't help you wrt the dent. If you bring it to them, they'll probably just quote you a price. Depending on what type of insurance coverage you have, they may or may not pay you the price to fix it. As long as it still works then you might just want to deal with it. My own insurance calls for zero deductible on my first claim , but afterwards it shoots up to around $1000 bucks if I need to make another claim (though, for $3500 worth of coverage, it's still not bad).

4. mattkidd, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Hmmmm Well ill have to find out the insurance plan tomorrow and its the UK of course so i imagine even more difficult :rolleyes:

I believe its under my parents home insurance, under a seperate coverage for Laptops which i believe covers accidental damage.

But i can see what your saying about dealing with it seeing its functionally a minor issue and the insurance company will probably also see it as that, just a shame im one of these people with some form of over obsessive order with the bugger! :( although the aluminium is sexy and unlike anything else, it sure doesn't stand too well with a small drop on a quite cushioned carpet :eek:

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

As Jeremy Clarkson always says, "Where's the hammer?" :p

Best thing you can do is sort it out with the insurance as Applecare won't cover it.

6. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Have to love abit of Jeremy Clarkson :D

Yeah well ill attempt to ring them tomorrow, fingers crossed they will be some help, might also try ringing Apple support or my nearest Apple store to see whether they could quote me a standard price over the phone, i imagine we're talking a couple of hundred £'s?

7. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Is there any damage to the screen itself? They may just need to replace the aluminum casing if there isn't but you'd have to let them evaluate it first.

8. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Fortunatley from what i can see no there's no damage to the glass or screen itself its just ever so slightly bent at the edge and more noticable when the lids closed. I guess maybe its not really an issue, but im sure there's some understanding just how much it means when its a mac :D :eek: Looks like i might have been lucky this time, i imagine its much cheaper for the aluminium to be replaced?

9. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Better double check. Some home owners plans for laptops WILL IN FACT raise your premium FOR YOUR ENTIRE HOME OWNERS INSURANCE PLAN if you claim a laptop. Not all, but some do. Check into that.

10. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Appreciate all the reply's :)

Phoned Apple support today the first guy i talked to told me that its possible they wouldn't need to replace the entire display and therefore would be cheaper, i was told to contact my nearest Apple Store (Milton Keynes)

Phoned Milton Keynes and if i say so myself the women on the phone didn't have a very appealing tone to her, sounded as if she really wasn't interested or simply up her own arse. I was told i would need to bring it into the store and book an Appointment with the Genius Bar, which is fair enough. She just seemed so :rolleyes: if you know what i mean.

11. LikuidMetal macrumors regular

LikuidMetal

Apple covered my dent, due partly to the screen being affected. Read my post on my experience. You may be suppressed to what you get if you try.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1044632

12. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Man, so many people have been posting things relating to their MacBook Pros being damaged. Wether it be by dropping it, spilling a drink, etc. I just know I'll start holding my MBP extra tight now. Hope things work out well for you!

13. CW Jones macrumors 6502

HEY I have a friend that lives in Milton Keynes!

Hope everything gets fixed up at minimal cost to you! I hate it when a little slip up costs a ton!