Mac internet help (disconnecting from WiFi when asleep)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tomlaw96, Jan 31, 2010.

1. tomlaw96 macrumors newbie

i have an imac 2009 edition, and every time that my computer falls asleep, it gets disconnected from wifi. When it gets disconnected then all my downloads get interrupted, and thats really annoying! anyone know of a setting or app to stop it? I would like to be able to sleep the display, but keep the download downloading
    :confused::mad:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

System Preferences > Energy Saver > COMPUTER SLEEP to NEVER

Sleep is meant for saving power and only the RAM has power, to store the RAM's content.

Even on Windows the Standby Mode disconnects the PC from everything, only the RAM is powered, that's why it is called Sleep in Mac OS X. Like the sleep of animals, who are hardly active during that time.

3. tomlaw96 thread starter macrumors newbie

But is there any way to let the display sleep but still let the downloads continue?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. tomlaw96 thread starter macrumors newbie

so can i put the computer to never sleep, but the display to sleep? will that still allow the downloads to download?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, yes and yes.

But normally you shouldn't need to set the COMPUTER to NEVER sleep when an activity is going on, like a download for example.

Sometimes I have to download something big (GBs) overnight, and my iMac does not fall asleep, even though it is set to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

7. tomlaw96 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do you gets your to not fall asleep? by putting computer to never sleep?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As I wrote before, my iMac is set to sleep after 15 minutes, but during a download (Transmit - FTP server) it will not fall asleep, as that is an activity.

Maybe your download application does not register as an activity, as watching videos in a browser seem to be not registered as an activity too.

9. tomlaw96 thread starter macrumors newbie

o ok..im just trying to download something from safari