Mac Internet Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tragedies, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

When I get my Mac I'll need to find out a way to get my current internet connection to my Mac.

Currently I use a modem that goes to a USB attached to my computer. The USB I use doesn't work on a Mac though, as my sister who owns a Mac has tested this.

She uses a long cord that goes from the modem underground to her room, and then to her Mac, but I think this is a hassle, as it isn't ACTUALLY wireless.

Does anyone know that if I get a USB that works for Macs I may be able to use my internet?

Just for the record I use a Netgear MA111 USB Adapter, and a Thomson Speedtouch 570 modem.

Thanks for the help, and my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wait, why don't you just get a router and plug the modem into the router and connect the Mac to the internet via wireless?

3. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Never thought of that, but since my modem is a few meters away from my computer, are you suggesting i plug the router next to the my modem and that will send a signal to my Mac? Ive never used a router....

If this is possible, what router should I buy?

Edit: I was just looking at the Airport Extreme Base Station which looks like a really good solution, so if I simply plugged it in my modem both my sister's and my Mac would be able to connect online?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've had pretty good luck with Netgear routers, although if you can afford it an Airport base station would be best. And yes, you just plug the modem into the router and any Mac with a wireless card will be able to connect to it and get online. You can also plug Macs into the Airport base station via ethernet to connect to the internet.

5. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

You mentioned a wireless card in a Mac.

Is this included with iMacs or is it something else I need to buy?

Thanks for the help ~

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wireless cards are included with all iMacs, so you'll be fine there.

And I'm glad to help :)

7. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Try again with your modem's USB, but unplug the modem's power supply for a minute before plugging ita uab into your mac. Most modems work fine for both PCs and Macs, but sometimes need to be reset before working with a different system.