Mac = investment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by belovedmonster, Apr 7, 2007.

1. belovedmonster macrumors regular

I have just been looking at the prices of second hand Macs and it once again struck me just what insane prices they go for. Here on Ebay UK there are G4 iMacs going for £450 when a brand new Core 2 Duo one is like £800.

This isnt really something that gets mentioned a lot when people are asking if a Mac is the right thing for them. We all seem to say that the extra a Mac seems to cost over a Dell will actually gets you much better hardware and software and thus you get a better deal for a higher price. But fact is... if you buy a nice mid to high spec iMac for example, come 4 years from now when its starting to show its age you can probably get a substantial of what you payed for it, which in the long run surely pays for any price differences between Macs and cheap windows PCs?

I am in the market for a new computer at the moment and I'm wondering if I really need a Mac just to do basic stuff like web browsing, but being reminded of the insane amount of value macs sustain even years after they are discontinued makes me think maybe I should treat myself to another Mac after all!

2. Samwise592 macrumors regular

Defenately. Go mac, you wont regret it. I've heard their resell value is about equal to that of a Honda. So yes, it is defenately an investment; not many people take into account the cost of operation, and the time spent getting it to work etc...

My reccomendation: get a newer intel mac. That way you can run windows if you REALLY have to, and it will be compatable with all the new stuff for a few years down the road. Apple is phasing out PPC processors, so you dont want to get stuck buying that now.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I make money off of iLife and my Mac has paid for itself...

4. JAT macrumors 603

Strange, I see people talk about resale value all the time. Personally, I never do because I always want to keep mine. Still have my PB 165c, which still works. I'd call them an investment since I figure on keeping them for a decade.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I <3 eBay and the going rates of macs on there. I jump computers often (when new technology is introduced) - not because I'm rich and can afford to (I'm not), but because I usually can by adding very little out of pocket, so it doesn't make sense not to. I went from a year old PB > White Macbook > Black Macbook + HD and RAM upgrades > the MBP I have now, for only about $300 total out of pocket. Can't do that with a Dell!

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

you are correct. i keep thinking that i might sell my g4 dually 1.25 for maybe $700 or $800 CDN (about the same as what you quoted in pounds), but then I think....why? i'm making money with it.

BUT, if i do decide to sell it after i buy my mac pro, i know i'll get FAR more than I would with a pc. <shudders when he thinks of pc resale values>

:)

7. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Your deluding yourself. A computer is never an investment, regardless of pc or mac. Assuming you can get 450 pounds for a G4 imac, its still a terrible return.

Honestly for 450 pounds I could build a brand new pc, install OSX on it and have something much much much faster then an imac G4. I guess your riding on the fact that most users don't realise this.

Also I'd question how well those computers sell because people tend to have unrealistic expectations of selling prices on ebay.

8. TechHistorian macrumors member

One: Where are you going to get your LEGAL copy of OS X to install? OS X for Intel has yet to be commercially released. It only comes with new Macs.

Two: Your time is obviously of little value to you. Figure it takes me four hours to shop for, purchase, assemble, and boot up the BYO PC. Right there, I can afford to buy myself a brand spanking-new Imac (low-end) with the cost of my time. Granted, not everybody earns high salaries or has a short work-year, but the BYO types consistently fail to account for the cost of their time.

Three: Any business has to invest in equipment. That equipment will depreciate over time. The key is to purchase equipment that maintains its value relative to others. Macs do so. All those BYO PC types -- what happens to their old hardware? Is there a huge resale market for it? Does it maintain its value the way Macs do? Look at what second-hand Mac stores charge for old Macs. It's not just eBay that connotates the value of old Apple equipment.