Mac iPhone vs Windows iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sweener88, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hey guys!
    My girlfriend is on a windows computer and wants an iPhone (im on a mac). i have an ipod touch and use things like mobileme with my .mac er my mobileme yearly account for email and things. im just wondering, without a mobileme account on a VISTA machine is there any features she will be missing out on? and is there anyway for her phone mail app to work with a different email adress (her main one is a hotmail account) ? iv searched the forums but havnt had any luck finding any comparisions between mac and vista iPhones. Thanks alot for your help!!!

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

She can use the native iPhone email app to access her hotmail account via POP. But, she will have to sign up for a hotmail plus account ($19.95/yr).

3. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

i Actually just found out that she can forward her hotmail account to gmail and sync for free!!

4. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Don't know if she's going to miss any of the features. But she can have her hotmail account on her phone, without paying. I made a thread like a month ago, detailing how to do it (jailbroken phones only) and some other guy, gave a way for non jailbroken phones to set it up

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Yeah, that would work for reading her mail. Hotmail does plan to offer free POP to every one with in the next 11 months.

She could also just navigate to hotmail through safari.

6. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

No missing features, but syncing with itunes on a mac is much nicer than syncing with a windows machine. It's faster, smoother, and less stressful :D

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, and on the gmail settings, she can make her, reply to address, the hotmail one. So, she will send the emails through gmail, but if someone hits the reply button on the email, they will automatically get the hotmail account

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

She should just switch to GMAIL since hotmail is a big joke. ;)

9. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

QFT!

10. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

I agree, hotmail is nothing but problems. the 11month post though does this mean it will STOP forwarding after these 11 months are up?! i cant find info on the hotmail site :S im completly swtiched to gmail now, i have all my sites, forums, school email, hotmail and @mac.com forwarded to my gmail if not changed to gmail so im slowly transitioniong over. the only reason for her to keep her hotmail is so family who are not umm "tech savy" and friends can get used to her new gmail adress showing up in her emails and on msn messenger. is basicallys just saftey to keep it around and see what email she still gets to that account so we can change user settings and notify people who keep using that account lol

11. kameko macrumors member

this is probably true. i have a windows machine and i've never had a program crash/freeze more often then itunes. in fact its the ONLY program that consistently screws up almost every single day i have to use it. with 8.0.2 its not been so bad thus far though.

12. DigMe macrumors 6502

Only problem I ever have with it on Vista 64bit is that the Remote app causes it to freeze up.

13. klempwrsu macrumors member

klempwrsu

iPhoto

She wont be able to transfer photos to iPhoto. I find this integration seamless

14. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB