Mac is about to go in the bin

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kj2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. kj2 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have a 2008/09 Macbook Pro OS X Version 10.6.6.

Its started running slow so I want to completely wipe it and reset to factory settings. I have been reading through forums for 2 days and can't figure it out.

I have the original install disk and application discs. I reboot the computer with the install disc in and hold down cmd+r but nothing happens, I have attempted this around 15 times.

I then read somewhere to hold down the 'c' button, again with the disc inserted. This brings up the language I would like, then asks me to select a disk but it only shows the macintosh HD disk and there is no 'erase' button, just an install button.

Last night I spent 3 hours installing it to find all my data is still on my computer but I'm missing a few applications.

I have already backed everything up on a hard drive but can't understand why its so hard to wipe the dam thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my mac will be going out the window within the next hour.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Due to age of machine and the issues you're encountering, it sounds synonymous with a corrupted HDD.

If you download the following program, it'll check the SMART Data on your hard-drive. If there's a warning, the hard-drive needs replacing: http://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility312.zip

If that's OK, try holding the 'Alt' key on startup, and boot into your recovery DVD. If you click 'Install' it'll just do a repair install on the OS; you'll need to wipe the disk through Disk Utility on the recovery DVD before reinstalling the OS.

3. kj2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have ran that check and all came back fine.
    I rebooted the computer and held down alt key, it asked me to select either the macintosh hd or the install dvd.
    When selecting the Macintosh HD that simply took me to my desktop and when selecting the install dvd that started installing os x again.

I'm just going round in circles.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Once you get past the screen you go into disk utility then either repartition the drive or just erase the drive.

5. taelan28 macrumors regular

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

This ^^^.

Here are step-by-step instructions from Apple on how to do what you want:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3910