Mac is acting weird!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tanitas, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Tanitas, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

Tanitas macrumors newbie

SOLVEDHey everyone!
    I'm about to really freak out, every help would be highly appreciated!!
    So I downloaded utorrent and then i tried to download some torrents and stuff but all of sudden numerous websites started to open up, stating that in order to download the torrent I needed to download this and that programme/application. So I did, I downloaded random 3 different kinds of programs and now Mac is starting to act really weird and I don't know what to do.
    Some of the things:
    -ADS are constantly showing up everywhere i go on the internet
    -its super slow
    -some empty line i showing up at the top on safari (see the attachment)
    -MAC KEEPER website is constantly opening by itself
    wherever i am on the internet, some random words are in bold, and if i click on them, they open some add in a new window

PLEEEEASE HELP!

Attached Files:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

So you come on here to complain that you've willingly installed a bunch of crap on your computer, basically? I'm sorry but I wouldn't let you anywhere near my computer if you are that foolish.

Okay, here's a quick lesson: First and foremost, torrents do not need anything else than a client such as Transmission or uTorrent to download. Any website telling you otherwise is fraudulent and is likely trying to install malware on your computer. (Unless you are a very slow learner, I guess you know that by now).

From there, I'd suggest trying to look up instructions on google for removing MacKeeper and similar malware from your Mac, you'd probably learn a thing or two in the process.

If all else fails, you can restore your computer to factory fresh performance by reinstalling OS X. I'd normally recommend you then restore from a backup, but seeing how you willingly infected your computer with malware, I doubt you have one. (Second lesson, ALWAYS have a backup, all computers eventually fail or crap out, even Macs).

Hope this helps, even a tiny bit.

3. Tanitas thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never downloaded stuff like that before, but hey how could i know that something like that could happen? :/ well, i learned my lesson hard way i guess.
    I'm done with torrents and stuff like that, all i want at the moment is to get my dear mac back to normal.
    and thanks for help, i will try that.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does not sound like UTorrent or the torrent files themselves is what caused the problem. What more likely happened is you went to a skeevy site like Pirate Bay and they launched popup ads etc for Mac Keeper and other apps and you got tricked into downloading and installing those apps.... now you have cooties on your Mac. :eek:

If you had just ignored all those popups and closed them you would have been fine.

So what exactly did you install? Like snaky69 mentioned, you need to remove anything you installed. Also run this adware scanner to help clear things out. That business with words being bolded is adware for sure.

All completed reset Safari and check for newly installed extensions in Safari.

5. Tanitas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you soooo much Weaselboy! This seemed to help!!!
    I hope it's permanent!! :)) I'm so RELIEVED :D