Mac is getting slower and slower

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Huiu, May 22, 2012.

1. Huiu macrumors member

Hello there

My Macbook Pro (10.6.8) is getting slower and slower and I do not know why. So I wondered if there is a really good program to find out if there is a virus or something similar on my mac (freeware), or another possibility to solve the problem.

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

right-click on your boot HDD and then click on 'get-info'.
    what is the Capacity and Available reported?

3. Huiu, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

Huiu thread starter macrumors member

Capacity: 249.72 GB
    Available: 124.99 GB

I started Onyx and I think the problem is now identified but not solved: the HD seems to be kind of broken. SO it says that I have to repair it by using the installation-disc which I do not have. Is there another possibility to repair the HD?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Install AppleJack, an easy way to run disk repair when you start up in "Single User" mode.

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Start in 'Single User mode' by pressing the cmd+s keys at power on, then follow the prompt.

6. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

7. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

However, the internet is still working very slow and the problem is not the connection. So, maybe there is already 'something' on the computer. Would Onyx have found a 'trojan' or whatever?

8. abhinav7333 macrumors member

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OnyX isn't a malware app, and while it's possible, it's unlikely you have a trojan.

For performance issues: Performance Tips For Mac OS X
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.