mac is gone, have iphoto library file on windows.. help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tha5150, Mar 26, 2010.

1. tha5150 macrumors member

i have my macbook sold and now trying to import my iphoto album (1 20gb file)into windows. Picasa web is the best out for windows by far so i will be using this. i am curious if there is a way to keep all my events in order, as they were on my mac and import them into Picasa. heck if there is a way to export all the events into folders on my pc at all. then deal with Picasa after that.

someone please help me out. i have a pregnant wife at home and was trying to get some photos printed for her as a surprise and now i can access them.

i dragged all my files to an external drive before i got rid of the macbook, but when i open the iphoto library within windows using MacDrive, it gives me all these weird folders. i see the pics in there. but i have 8gb in 1 folder, 800mb in another and a few scattered around. labeled 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. but nothing is feeling right about it and dont think it will copy everything over..

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I never found a slick way to do this and keep the iPhoto metadata. I ended up searching the entire drive for .JPG files and copied them out. I then re-imported them and started over.

In hindsight, it's easier to export all the photos first, then sell the device. ;)

3. tha5150 thread starter macrumors member

i did export everything out. i have all files on this external drive. except the iPhoto Library.. :eek:

4. belvdr macrumors 603

If you exported from iPhoto, you should simply have a directory full of JPG files. It sounds like you simply copied the home directory out, which you'd have to do what I recommended above and find all JPGs and reimport them into your photo app of choice.

5. tha5150 thread starter macrumors member

well i didnt do that unfortunately. i guess i will have to sort everything out like this.. i wish there was a tool or something online for this. . .