Mac is running hellishly slow all of a sudden! Tried everything

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dylanshark, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Dylanshark macrumors newbie

My 17 inch Macbook Pro from late 2008 has all of a sudden taken to giving me the spinning beach ball of death every five seconds, even when I have no applications open! Even clicking on spotlight or opening the finder is a minute long ordeal that sometimes ends with the finder quitting out of itself.

I have tried everything I could think of:
    -Clearing up room on my hard drive
    -Reinstalling safari/firefox (originally safari was the only thing freaking out)
    -Deleting all library caches
    -Repairing disk permissions
    -Restarting computer
    -Resetting PRAM

What should I do next? I am at a loss, I mostly use this computer to work on music with Logic Pro and at this point the computer can't even handle opening Logic and unexpectedly quits before I even catch a glimpse of the software. Thanks for any help in advance,
    Dylan

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at Activity Monitor (select SHOW ALL PROCESSES), sorted by CPU and also looked for the Disk Activity?

[​IMG]

Maybe the HDD is kind of failing, have you looked at the SMART status in Disk Utility?

What kind of HDD do you have - look into System Profiler > Hardware > Serial ATA to find out the model number.

Maybe have a go at AJA System Test (download link) and see what kind of read and write speeds you get.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Back up your data if you haven't done so. What you describe could signal an impending hard drive failure.

Is it under warranty?

4. Dylanshark thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night I took the time to do a system update and then searched for any software that needed updating (which was quite a bit) and after the restart for the software update my computer did not start up correctly. It will now start up normally but will stop after it has displayed only my background and the mouse, which will alternate between a normal mouse and the spinning wheel every five seconds.

I can't see the dock or the bar up top or any of the files on my desktop, literally just my desktop background and nothing else, I have no idea why a software update would have made this happen :(

No warranty either, any ideas are welcome but I'm guessing my computer is pretty much done, thanks anyway

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Can you start to the computer's restore disks?

6. nebarik macrumors member

if a update did that much damage thats a fair sign that your hdd is failing. bad blocks id suspect.

book it in for service at a apple store. its most likly just your hdd, which are pretty cheap these days.