Mac is slow all of a sudden...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnramirez417, Mar 29, 2010.

1. johnramirez417 macrumors newbie

Hello... I have a 24 in. iMac 2.66GHz 4GB RAM and 640GB harddrive... So heres what happened. I get windows 7 and decide to get it up and running in bootcamp. I open bootcamp and try to make a partition and it says the famous "files can't be moved" error. So i'm told that if i reformat the harddrive that for some reason it wont give me this error. I back everything up in time machine, use the snow leopard disc to reformat the drive, restore everything back with time machine and open bootcamp, it doesnt give me the error, and i install windows 7 just fine. After that i open OSX again and install my new windows 7 into parralels, then i quit parallels and open final cut. all of a sudden all my final cut pro projects cant be opened, which i accepted that fact and just started out fresh on my projects. but then i start a new project and start working and shortly after working i get the pinwheel followed by final cut closing. I thot of it as just a normal final cut crash. Open again, start fresh, work for 5 min and it happens again. i did this process 2 more times and it crashed both times as well. so i started googling to see if anyone else had this problem after installing win7 or reformatting thier drive. then i get the pinwheel again and google chrome crashes. the pinwheel keeps popping up no matter wut application im using, and wont let me do anything for 2min before i can move again, then after 5min of freedom. Its like my processor and ram is split in half for parrallels or something but parallels is quited.... If anyone has the slightest clue what couldve went wrong, id appreciate it.....

2. Gold89 macrumors 6502

First of all run activity monitor and see if there are any programs using large amounts of cpu/memory.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Repair permissions with disk utility.

4. johnramirez417 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, repairing permissions did it... i always heard people talk about verifying and repairing permissions, but i never knew what it did.... thanks again!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You may want to give OnyX a try as well. It's a simple small app which combines permission repair, cache cleaning and other maintenance related stuff.