Mac jumps up 20GB in space!

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have deleted nothing since yesterday. The only thing I did do was a time machine backup this morning and now my Mac has 191GB's free instead of 171GB's free. What happened?

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
Thats weird, check your files in both time machine and your mac, and your trash

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you often do NOT have your time machine backup drive attached --- When you connect that backup drive, the backup process will read from, then remove the temporary time machine files that get stored on your boot drive in between those times that you connect to your backup.

So, you got some space back because you haven't backed up for some period of time, or you have made significant changes to your files since you last had that time machine drive connected.
Just Time Machine doing its job.

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
If you often do NOT have your time machine backup drive attached --- When you connect that backup drive, the backup process will read from, then remove the temporary time machine files that get stored on your boot drive in between those times that you connect to your backup.

So, you got some space back because you haven't backed up for some period of time, or you have made significant changes to your files since you last had that time machine drive connected.
Just Time Machine doing its job.
Thanks