Mac keeps freezing up!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DickKnowsBest, Jul 29, 2010.

1. DickKnowsBest macrumors member

After login, or a few minutes after login, my 17" macbook running 10.6.4 seems to just freeze up. The weird thing is, the whole computer works via keyboard, and the mouse CURSOR works, but when I highlight over items (i.e dock) nothing appears, and I can't click on anything. I can still use the keyboard, so I just hit the power button on my MBP and push enter to shut down and restart again, but everytime I login this freezing keeps occuring. It occurs either as soon as I log in, or several minutes after. Never in between, or never after that time.

Any ideas anyone? Is this some kind of kernel panic? Will re-installing OSX and/or repairing the disc (disc utility) help this issue or do you think it's something worse?

2. DickKnowsBest thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I figured out why it freezes. (I think)
    A popup would appear saying "connection lost" and I'd have no idea why. It turns out it was my magic mouse still turned on in my carrier bag, hidden away in my closet.
    The bluetooth signal would only just be able to recognize it, but would keep turning off. When the signal is found, the Mac would freeze, and my trackpad would stop working for about 30 seconds. Enough time for me to think it has crashed and to do a hard reset.

Silly me, but silly magic mouse too.

Anyway, if anyone has encountered a similar problem, or have any ideas that would help a little more. I'm still not 100%.