Mac keeps saying to restart on boot up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Roobsa, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Roobsa macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Yesterday, my MBP gray screened with the "You need to restart your computer..." error message. I have absolutely no idea what could have caused this, although Final Cut Studio 2 did finish installing about 10 minutes before it happened for the first time. I tried restarting a few times but the error message kept on appearing about 30-60 seconds after the desktop loads up. I left the laptop alone over night and in the morning, I switched it on and it appeared to have fixed itself but this afternoon, the restart screen came up again.

I have a time machine backup from yesterday, but as I have work due in at the end of this week, I'm a little bit panicky at the moment.

What I'm concerned about, is that if I reinstall Snow Leopard, then restore from a Time Machine back up, it's just going to restore this error.

If anyone could help, it would really be appreciated. (I've attached the error message if anyone doesn't know what I'm on about.)

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

4. dawkins345 macrumors newbie

kernal panic only when airport is on

just turned on my macbook and got the same messege but only when my airport card is turned on this has never been an issue and I would like to keep this macbook. can someone please help me

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

@dawkins345

That suggests there is a problem with a kext, the Airport card itself, or possibly a kext dependency problem. I am going to lean on the side of the card itself being bad. Nevertheless, try booting with safeboot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

6. thewright1, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Replaced my hard drive, now I'm dealing with this same issue. I can't boot to safe mode though, just keeps showing that kernel error.