Mac Keeps Shutting Down Whilst Playing WoW?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by knickerlas, Dec 23, 2008.

1. knickerlas macrumors newbie

Hi,

About 10-15mins after starting a WoW session in 10.5.6 on a mac pro, the screen goes into powersave mode, and cannot be returned. This is leaving me with no alternative but to hard reboot!

I can hear the fans going mad as I'm playing, so wonder if it's a heat issue. If so, what to do about it?

Can anyone suggest:

a) How to break out of screen power save without hard rebooting?

b) What the issue may be and how to investigate/resolve it?

Many thanks!

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Is this just happening in WOW, or does it happen when you do other stuff also?

You could try resetting the SMC, solves a few fan issues.....:apple:

3. knickerlas thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the fans do also go into overdrive when i play second life - though im rarely in long enough for the machine to cut out like that as often...

how would i reset smc levels and what might the consequences be?

thanks for the advice!

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

There are no consequences of resetting the SMC, (your clock may reset to 00:00 ) depending on your Mac Pro, follow this link:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806

But this almost seems an issue with your GPU. Clear out any dust etc around the fans. If this is happening in Games, obviously your Graphics card is working much harder.

Good luck!

5. knickerlas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, before i have taken the mac apart and blown a stack of dust out and all has been well. It was 4mts ago I last did it, but maybe we just have a dusty house!

thanks again,

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hhmmm

'Console' is a detailed UNIX reporting tool. I strongly advice you have a detailed look through this. Any information from the kernel or applications (i.e. WoW) will be documented & should correlate with the timings of your crashes.

Use it. React on that. If you're still in warranty, I'd go to an Apple Store for a Genius appointment - it's always easier if you can reproduce the fault.

F