Mac Keeps Shutting Down ???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musicmad2000, Mar 19, 2012.

1. musicmad2000, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

musicmad2000 macrumors member

Sorry new issue

I have serious issue with my Macbook, it keeps shutting down for no reason at all, after switching it back on again for 5 to 10 minuets it then shuts down again. Not multi tasking with big applications and no over heat fan issues, i had to be quick to write this post before it shutdown again.

What is happening to my Mac?

Macbook 5.1 OS X Loepard 10.5.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps such as Skype will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

3. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

I could be wrong but i think i had the (Energy Saver Levels) in preferences way to high? example, i had the battery levels set to 30-min for display sleep and 1-hr for computer sleep.

It was when i was using the Mac on battery that it kept shutting down, but when re-setting Energy Levels to a minimum and using the power adapter all was fine again.

Ohhh i was really distressed about all that, could anyone comment on wether I'm right about the Energy Levels? as i thought before shutdown there was a pop up to confirm how much time was left?

Thanks.

4. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Could be a faulty battery, is it plugged in at the time?
    Could be your energy saving settings. Could be a lot of things, what's the year, model? if it's under warranty, or applecare, take it in and have them look at it.

5. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

No the laptop was literally shutting down, but yes this began after a recent update was installed. I still think the issue was pointed to the (Energy Saver levels) because since adjusting them all has been fine. But your right! it could be anything. How do i found out about the Mac shutting down? can this not be traced in a Log File inside the Mac.

Unfortunately i purchased the Macbook 3 yrs ago which out dates any warranty. :(

Macbook 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't had the problem since you changed your Energy Saver settings, then that was the problem.

7. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

I strongly think so, but again there was no pop up window to confirm battery low when the system unexpectedly shutdown, so it could still be a faulty battery?

Are there no back up Log Files in the system to confirm why the Mac crashed :confused: