Mac Keeps Waking From Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caleb531, May 15, 2010.

1. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

It all started a few weeks ago. Whenever I put my Mac to sleep, most of the time, it immediately wakes up again. (Eventually, the fans would start to spin up, but I solved that by disabling "Sleep hard drives when possible")

Now it's just a matter of how I can put my Mac to sleep, and keep it sleeping until I choose to wake it up. I recently got a new printer hooked up to the network, and originally thought it was the issue, but I don't think so now.

I've tried disabling wake up on network access, Bluetooth wake-up. I tried a Airport connection instead of Ethernet, and have disabled both. I even tried unplugging the Ethernet cable, along with any connected peripherals (except the keyboard). Now, my only guess is that it's a software issue, but I don't know where to start.

I'm desperate for a solution. I would love to see my Mac sleeping peacefully again.

2. celticpride678

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Caleb531 thread starter macrumors 6502

Caleb531

So far, resetting the PRAM seemed to work. But if not, I will definitely try resetting the SMC.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Darn, it seemed to happen again. Time to reset the SMC!

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well, the PRAM and SMC have little to do with sleep settings (in fact, SMC reset is only recommended if the machine is shutting down or sleeping without warning).

Open Console.app (/Application/Utilities/Console.app) and look for "Wake Reason" kernel events. You will probably need to select "All Messages" on the left.

One you have the reason, you will know what is doing and from there find out how to stop.

6. Caleb531 thread starter macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Ah, I tried the Console, but I didn't see anything before because I forgot to check All Messages.

Now I tried that, and this is what I see after the sleep

7. celticpride678

Are all software/firmware updates applied on the computer?

It seems like the issue is the Apple keyboard. Are you sure that the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" option is disabled.

If it is, try trashing the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file from ~/Library/Preferences.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Is this referring to an external Apple Keyboard? (basically, do you use one?)

If so, do you have anything plugged into the USB ports on it?

9. Caleb531 thread starter macrumors 6502

Caleb531

All software updates are applied. I trashed the Bluetooth prefs (knowing it'll recreate them). My keyboard is a standard Apple keyboard (w/ numpad), but no USB device is plugged into its ports. The only Bluetooth device I have is a wireless Mighty Mouse.

UPDATE: It still seems to be happening for the same reason. One other thing to note is I always sleep my Mac by pressing Cmd+Option+Eject, and wake it up by pressing the spacebar. I don't know how relevant this is; you tell me. :D

For now, I'm going to sleep and wake using the power button and see how that works.