Mac Keyboard Shortcuts (F1-F12) Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scjustice, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Scjustice macrumors newbie

Hello from a relatively new Mac user!

I have recently run into a problem which manifested itself around the occurrence of two simultaneous software upgrades. One was a keyboard firmware update and the other was the installation of the Mighty Mouse (wireless). A day or two after these items were installed all the pre-programmed shortcuts in the F keys ceased to operate. This includes: Dashboard, spaces, contrast, itunes play/pause, next track, previous track, mute, volume up and down. I have figured out how to re-assign the functions to dashboard and spaces, but I cannot figure out how to make the volume, itunes, and contrast function correctly.

My operating system is Mac OSX. Thanks in advance!

SJ

2. ZballZ macrumors regular

It could be a problem in your system preferences. Since some apps (final cut pro, etc) tend to use the f1-f12 as important short-cuts within the app, there is a way to 'deactivate' them from the system. This is a handy feature, and maybe you have deactivated them by mistake...

go to the apple left corner => system preferences => keyboard&mouse. Under the "keyboard"-tab, see if the "Use all F1, F2 etc. keys as..." is checked. UNCHECK THIS. maybe this solves your problem...

3. Scjustice thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ZballZ macrumors regular

5. MattinSF macrumors newbie

Perfect help

Thank you, I was looking how to change, and ZballZ you really help me a trip to the mac store. :)