Mac Keyboard tricks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BioCore, Dec 10, 2007.

1. BioCore macrumors regular

Hi,

I actually have two questions; One is concerning the minimizing of an open application to the dock. I know that the combo is the apple key with "M". But I was wondering if there is a way to maximize it from the dock again? Most of the time I can go to the application, like Safari but then the window is still minimized until I use my mouse to click! I prefer using keyboard shortcuts as I can work much faster.

Also any good place on finding interesting mac keyboard tricks?
    :apple:

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

for cool keyboard shortcuts download quicksilver

3. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

you can maximise in that but its a few key press'

cmd+space

then

f

then

enter

for me

4. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm I just searched it up and I'm currently downloading. From the looks of it, looks like a pretty cool application! Thanks for the tip Danny, and thanks for the maximizing answer.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Great advice.

If you're a Leopard user:

Of course there is a "different" way of approaching this, i.e. instead of having all windows on the desktop and maximizing one for focus and minimizing the others -- start working with spaces and set Expose corners to show the desktop!

What I did was enabled Expose' and spaces, setting all four corners in Expose' to show the desktop. This means if you place your mouse on any of the 4 corners of your desktop, everything docks. You can click on the thin dock remnant of that window to expand it back to original size/location, otherwise it's like minimizing everything at once, and zero clicking to dock them all.

But more importantly create at least 4 spaces, and make sure your most commonly used "maximized" apps that you are in the first 3. For example I permanently set space 1 to hold my browser fully maximized, space 2 Mail fully maximized, space 3 iCalendar fully maximized. I prefer all these specific apps to be wider than other apps for obvious reasons of usability. Each app is then set to "load at login" via task bar. The 4th space is a generic work space I use for anything else, like a normal desktop you use now.

Once you get used to spaces you'll love the fact you can click on the icon in the task bar and it automatically jumps to that space and shows your app just as you left it, no other apps to get in the way (but you can add more if you want in that space for drag/drop). Then simply use the numerous shortcut keys available in spaces to jump between spaces via the task bar or the optional lauch pad tiny spaces icon at the top if you've enabled spaces to show up there. Spaces kick some much butt, people.

This is less clicking overall and work than constantly minimizing/maximizing plus the window state is remembered and auto-loads into the proper space at boot and you don't need to even worry about shortcuts other than those for spaces which are arguably easier to remember and faster to use.

This is a virtual desktop scenario that's useful. I'm sure others have variations on this theme!

This is exploiting your Mac's features to "re-think" your way of doing things, because some of the minimize/maximize issues are Windows XP/Vista "ways of thinking". Expose' and spaces is the new philosophy and I think... the better one to keeping your desktops (plural) organized which keeps YOU organized and clutter free.

Just some informal suggestions!

-jim

6. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

wow, the more I read about leopard the better it gets

nice tip SrWebDeveloper

7. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

SrWebDeveloper, is there a way on startup to get mail and i cal to load to a certian space or do you just move em each time you reboot?

8. SawTooth500 macrumors member

open System Preferences and choose Expose`& Spaces.
    click the Spaces tab.
    press + to add an app and just choose a space to put it in.
    It will always open in that space and will automatically switch to that space when you open the app or click on it's icon in the dock if it is already open.:apple:

9. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Yep, load 'em within a specified space. Here's how:

Within spaces setup is a simple tool to add apps to specific spaces so they load into that space. Press the + key in spaces setup as the other user explained to add an app, select its space. What I did was pick 3 of my MOST OFTEN USED apps and insert them into the first 3 spaces, and of course I also made sure icons are in the dock, each set to "Load at login" and "Keep in dock". So when I boot, all the spaces are automatically populated with the correct app which I previously sized pretty wide, as I prefer for those kind of apps.

I prefer to setup my dock so all 3 of those apps are on the far left and in sequence to my spaces setup (simply drag them around to reposition them) for convenience. So my first 3 icons in the dock are browser, mail, iCal.

-jim