Mac Leopard question (2 Machines)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by docgraham, Jan 6, 2008.

1. docgraham macrumors newbie

I bought Leopard for my macbook with intel. And I would like to put it on my G5 iMac. Is there any problems with registration or should I buy another copy? All thoughts would be appreciated.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Buy a retail copy.. The intel copy for MB is designed for that model of MB..

3. docgraham thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I didn't specify, I DO have a retail copy of Leopard.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Each copy of Leopard only contains a license for 1 machine (unless you buy the family pack which is licensed for 5 machines)

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

if your gonna install single user discs on (2) machines then you'll be breaking the eula agreement .. Info on EULA agreement

6. docgraham thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I understand, I do have four other machines that is need of Leopard, so I just ordered a family pack for the others. In the meantime would it even work to put Leopard on one other machine, I need to work on it tonight preferably.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It will work but you are committing a criminal offense. As you have ordered the other licenses via the Family Pack then this would appear to be morally OK...

8. docgraham thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your help. I'll wait for the new discs to get here, I was just wondering, to give me a head start.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The single-license disc will happily install on more than one machine: if you want a head start then go for it. You've bought the licenses anyway!

10. josepho macrumors regular

Without sounding pedantic, surely using the existing DVD would not be a criminal offence, but rather would be committing a civil breach of contract. I think it's important to make it clear that the police would certainly have no interest in that kind of activity, as it's really more civil contract law than criminal law.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that the criminal part comes from the fact that installing creates an un-authorised copy of a copyrighted work (the software that gets installed). The EULA authorises you for a single copy. In additional to the criminal offense you are breaking the civil contract in the EULA.

12. josepho macrumors regular

Robbie, you could very well be correct. That wasn't my understanding of it, but then I'm no legal expert, unfortunately.