Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Hello,

I know may people don't like (or at the very least, get frustrated with) the OS X Server & Admin tools, but I have used them for a good many things over the years and found them at least adequate.

I am now trying to setup a small Linux server for a mid sized classroom setting (about 50 students) and have very little experience in this area. specifically this server needs to offer DHCP, DNS, and Samba (including file sharing and NetBIOS) services. All of which are relatively easy through the OS X server (GUI) admin tools. Does anyone have an suggestions or recommendations for how I could get the linux box setup? are there any good Linux GUI tools to administer these kinds of services? I've thought about using a router, but my routers are all Apple airport devices and as far as I can tell they do not offer DNS services on their own.

I've read ClearOS Community is pretty good.. does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks,
~A

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Hello,

I know may people don't like (or at the very least, get frustrated with) the OS X Server & Admin tools, but I have used them for a good many things over the years and found them at least adequate.

I am now trying to setup a small Linux server for a mid sized classroom setting (about 50 students) and have very little experience in this area. specifically this server needs to offer DHCP, DNS, and Samba (including file sharing and NetBIOS) services. All of which are relatively easy through the OS X server (GUI) admin tools. Does anyone have an suggestions or recommendations for how I could get the linux box setup? are there any good Linux GUI tools to administer these kinds of services? I've thought about using a router, but my routers are all Apple airport devices and as far as I can tell they do not offer DNS services on their own.

I've read ClearOS Community is pretty good.. does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks,
~A

What disto are you using for the server? The GUI tools if there are any will vary depending on which is install and what desktop you're using. Most people who run Linux servers generally don't install a GUI so the GUI tool selection will be thin.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
What disto are you using for the server? The GUI tools if there are any will vary depending on which is install and what desktop you're using. Most people who run Linux servers generally don't install a GUI so the GUI tool selection will be thin.

I'm not set on a specific distro, so whichever would work best for my needs.. in fact if there's another cheap/free option (free BSD, whatever) I would be game for that.

I wish I was at the level already where I felt like I could just do it all through the command line. I'm sure I can/will get there but for the immediate need, something quick,easy and functional is what I need and I just assumed that maybe there would be a simple option.

The machine I'm trying to use is a little netbox, a FoxConn NT-425H
It has an Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, 30GB SSD
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=NanoPC&U=en-us0000010

A friend gave it to me, and I figured it is small and easy to transport to/from school.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'm not set on a specific distro, so whichever would work best for my needs.. in fact if there's another cheap/free option (free BSD, whatever) I would be game for that.

I wish I was at the level already where I felt like I could just do it all through the command line. I'm sure I can/will get there but for the immediate need, something quick,easy and functional is what I need and I just assumed that maybe there would be a simple option.

The machine I'm trying to use is a little netbox, a FoxConn NT-425H
It has an Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, 30GB SSD
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=NanoPC&U=en-us0000010

A friend gave it to me, and I figured it is small and easy to transport to/from school.

Try CENTOS6 it's supported for a few more years and with Gnome 2 the desktop on it should run OK and it will include the necessary server tools with most of the stuff activated after install. The second reason is you'll be able to use Red Hats documentation which will list the tools you might need. I think you're going to in for some reading but it shouldn't take to long. One more thing I'd recommend is looking at this section of Linux Questions:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/

They are smart and easy going people who just love this stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.