MAC Limitation?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dave-sky, Nov 10, 2011.

1. dave-sky macrumors newbie

I believe I found a limitation (or maybe a software oversight) on the MAC. I have tried every which way to do networking with both the wireless and wired connection. I want to set up the network so the wired is a private (10.0.0.0) and wireless for public (default). The route table (netstat) displays the correct routes, but the internal network does not follow this route (as they would on a PC). It always prefers the wired connection, even though the routes reflect otherwise. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

This is definitely not a MAC limitation. If it were, you'd have problems on Windows, too, since MAC also applies there. MAC applies at the hardware layer of the network infrastructure, which is at a lower level than routing tables, and therefore, when it comes to routing, MAC is irrelevant.

It's also not a Mac limitation:

System Preferences->Network->Gear (at the bottom left)->Set Service Order

By default, Ethernet is higher in the list than WiFi, as generally, if you have an Ethernet connection and a WiFi connection, you should be using Ethernet to get to as many things as possible. Since your WiFi is your internet connection and your ethernet is local-only, you should swap the order.