Mac liquid spill question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcwarlock4352, Aug 14, 2014.

1. bcwarlock4352 macrumors newbie

In June I spilled coffee with sugar and cream on my MacBook keyboard. I took it to the apple store and they checked it and said it had not been damaged at all.however some of my keys have been kind of sticky even though they cleaned them.i can type with them but they just feel odd.my question is are they going to corrode my computer or make my keys stop working?the guy at the store said my Mac was really clean inside and had no damage but im still worried.....should I be worried or am I just paranoid as this was back in June.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Could be both. Coffee is acidic so I assume it could corrode but you say the Apple store claimed the liquid did no damage. That is surprising to me. Are they saying the liquid never hit the logic board?

Anyway, a good cleaning could help if you can pop the keys off.

3. bcwarlock4352 thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy at the Genius Bar said he opened up the back and the liquid never got in,he even went as far as to comment on how clean the inside was and that here wasn't even a lot of dust inside.i only spilled a small amount on the key board area but I know that can still cause damage so I went to he Genius Bar and had them examine it and that is what he told me.i was surprised as we'll but it has worked flawlessly since and never shut down or anything.should I be worried at this point.i don't want to take it back and tell the guy he's wrong since it's working fine he might think I'm nuts

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would not take it back to him because frankly, he should have charged you for a diagnosis fee in the first place due to the type of damage. You got lucky. I think you're just a bit paranoid. I get why, but you are.

5. lysola macrumors member

If the fella at Genius says it's clean inside, I'd trust that it's not going to mess anything up. If it's all cleaned out and dry, I'm guessing the worst you'll have to deal with is that sticky feeling on some of the keys. OR, just head back to Genius as if you never went in the first place and maybe you'll get someone else to look at it.

6. bcwarlock4352 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel better now....I guess I won't take it back since it works great and I've had no issues.i remember even the guy said I was lucky because the model I had was a flat 1200 or something for water damage.thank yall

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you keep going back eventually someone will say liquid damage and quote you for a new logic board. Is that what you want?

8. bcwarlock4352 thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh no....I guess you didn't read what I said above...I'm satisfied everything's okay now and I won't be taking it back.but thanks for your concern....your a real peach....,