Mac loads webpages slow or times out

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaredfarnum, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jaredfarnum macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro with bootcamp and Windows 7 as well as OS X (unsure of version number at this moment, but think its 10.5).

On the Windows 7 side, webpages load quickly in both Firefox 3.6.10 and Internet Explorer 8.0 and I rarely have trouble.

On the MAC side, webpages are often unbearably slow to load and often do not load at all or time out or stop halfway through loading. This is both occurring in Firefox (latest version) and Safari (latest version). When I switch to the Windows side, it magically is great again.

I want my Mac back!

On the Mac side, I have already tried clearing all temp internet files, tried several suggested browser tweaks on Firefox including uninstalling every extension and plugin. Nothing seems to make a difference. I have not tried any Safari tweaks as of yet, but really want Firefox working again. Also I should mention, I have plenty of free hard drive space.

My wifes Dell with Windows XP also works just fine on the internet.

I am typing this post on the Windows side because it actually works.

It is strange to me that both Safari and Firefox are slow on the Mac side, but Firefox and IE are great on the Windows side. I look forward to ideas of how to fix this issue.

Jared

2. jaredfarnum thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Are you getting the same upload/download speeds when on OSX and Windows?

You can test it on speedtest.net

4. jaredfarnum thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did a speedtest @ work. They were done only a couple of minutes apart. I will have to wait until I can do one at home as I have not mastered the art of being two places at once. I have previously done speedtests at home and the numbers were not bad.

Internet browsing on Mac OSX does seem to be faster at work...then at home.

WORK - MAC
    16.36 Down
    25.06 Up

WORK - WINDOWS
    17.05 Down
    35.25 Up

Interesting enough it does show Windows to be slightly faster here at work.

New Theory - OSX sucks handling data with my home wireless (Belkin) router?

Hope to have results to post from Home soon.

5. jaredfarnum thread starter macrumors newbie