MAC Login Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stakel, Mar 8, 2008.

1. stakel macrumors newbie

Sorry folks, I might not be in the right forum / thread - I just saw lots of people on this one at this hour . . . .
    And, I'm not a MAC user but am trying to help a friend with a MAC issue . . . .

Her Safari crashed and not knowing what else to do she reinstalled her OS - said it was 10.4. Now she can't get into the MAC at all. She doesn't know the default user id and password. She said her screen shows the machine name, but won't take her original uid / pw. I'm guessing the OS reinstall reset it to some factory defaults. What uid and pw should she try?

THANKS !!!

2. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

Sorry for being a capitalizisation Nazi, but Mac is capitalized Mac NOT MAC, which is an acronym for Media Access Control :D:D

3. stakel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yank my chain . . . . Thanks !! Sorry for the inappropriate use of the terminology . . . . I'll get on board Mac some day . . . . just not tonight . . . . can you tell me the id and pw for her please?

4. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

Sorry, I wouldn't have any clue.

You'll have to wait until one of the more knowledgeable people answers

5. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

You need to re-install OS X again. Something happened during the install. There is no default user name and password.

Insert the installation CD into the Drive. Restart the computer. When you hear the chime (or as soon as the gray screen appears) hold down the "C" key. This will boot the machine from the install CD. Then, follow the steps to re-install the OS again. NOTE!!! When you choose the installation drive, click on "Options" in the bottom, left-hand corner and select "Erase and Install". Continue the installation.

Note, all data (i.e., pictures, documents) on the computer will be lost. I assume she backed up her stuff first? The computer will be restored back to it's condition when it came out of the box.