Mac <-> Mac file transfers slow, lock up Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apfhex, Aug 25, 2007.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I used to be able to plug in my PBG4 to my Mac Pro's second ethernet port and transfer files at fast gigabit speeds. A few weeks ago I tried this and, while it worked, the speeds were SLOW. Now today when I try it the Finder locks up and *can't* be force quit (and if I try everything else goes down with it). Eventually the transfer times out and the Finder relaunches. Update: I got it working again but it's still slow, not the speeds I should be seeing.

The only changes I can think of are that I've probably upgraded to 10.4.10 on both machine since the last time it was working properly (I'm not willing to downgrade to find out). I know the CAT5 cable is good and the ethernet ports are good. Airport is turned off on both machines so I know it's going over ethernet. I also have VMWare installed with I know adds its own "ethernet port", I wonder if that could be related?

2. mdio1234 macrumors newbie

mdio1234

Use a router

Id say use a router; and connect the Ethernet cables to the router and then try it. Your pb g4 and ur mac pro probably don't like being connected directly.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Use a firewire cable and do target mode (Startup one of the Macs and hold T). Or if you do do it over a network use FTP (transmit is a good FTP program). That will be much much much faster than doing any transfers through the Finder. The Finder is slooooow.

4. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

No — there was previously no problem doing it this way, and why should there ever be a problem with that sort of thing?

5. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Again, though, it used to be very fast.

Anyway. I fixed it by manually configuring Built-In Ethernet 2 on my Mac Pro for 1000baseT/full-duplex/1500 MTU. Don't know why it was choosing something slower using Automatic configuration.

6. Altdo macrumors newbie

Me Too

I have the same problem when I'm trying to link two Mac Pro's at work. The Manual Connection did fix it but it seems strange that it would default to a slower speed. Also I found that simaltanious restarts also fixed the problem... or at least 50/50.

7. emmanuled macrumors newbie

8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000