Mac Mac system installation??? (not Air)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Aug 25, 2010.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hello. Recently found myself in a dire mess due to a HD failure, as I've RAIDed the internal drives on my MBP. Now, it's been about two years, if not more since I actually set this up, so have since forgotten :rolleyes: Would appreciate some help from other users. Thanks.

I tried in vain to share an optical drive from my MacPro to MBP, both via AirPort and Ehternet using various utilities including Remote Install Mac OS X.app, even enabled the DVD or CD Sharing option in preferences; so far to no avail :(

Whether I'm connected wireless or wired (RJ45 &/or FW) I come to the same conclusion. To give you some idea of what's happening, on start-up with option key depressed, I see a flashing globe (apple's explanation is kinda stupid and useless when there's no OS on the HD) And it's futile trying to select it. Why is this happening?? What am I doing wrong? Isn't it possible to install remotely without it being a MacBookAir?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah, I tried this too! both FW400 & FW800.
    The system files installed to a certain point and the whole thing just restarted :eek:

but it ONLY supports MBA and MM's :(

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You can enable DVD sharing on a non-air, but I don't think you can get it to boot or install from a remote disk. The best solution (if it works) would probably be to put the MBP with no DVD drive in target disk mode, then install OS X onto that as a disk connected to the good MBP, if that's possible. You would probably need identical MBPs since the one with a DVD drive would be booting from the target disk.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You cannot install OSX via Airport or Ethernet on a non-air because the firmware on the Air is different from the ones on the other Mac portables.

If you want to install a program or application or access a disk, then it's possible.