Mac Magazine worth subscribing to?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Inno, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Inno macrumors member

I am getting back into Macs and thought it would be fun to get a subscription to a Mac (print) magazine. It's been a few years, and I know there has been some that have shut down, or petered out.

Which would be the best for general news, new products to look at, reviews, etc?

I realize that 99% of the news on Macs is going to come from online, but it's sometimes fun to sit and read that glossy old school magazine.

Thanks.

2. Rmafive macrumors 6502

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Another vote for Mac|Life here as well. Maximum PC, their sister publication covering all things PC, is also very good if you need to stay in touch with "The Dark Side."

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

From the US - MacLife - subscription rates are very heavily discounted too.

From the UK - MacFormat....

5. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Another vote for MacLife.

My experience has been that Macworld really doesn't offer much in the way of subscriber service, and the current issue is often on the stands weeks before it's delivered to subscribers.

MacLife, on the other hand, actually seems to want to retain subscribers.

In the UK, MacUser is my pick for the simple fact that it is out every two weeks. It's not the glossy, well-designed piece that MacFormat and Macworld UK are, but it's more timely and certainly more affordable.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

Yes, MacLife is WONDERFUL. Mac World just does reviews, and most of the reviews have been posted months beforehand online. I am glad I got a free 6 month subscription from them and didn't have to pay..I'd be VERY disappointed!

7. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I prefer Mac life as well but usually get it as I see fit from my local Borders. I do subscribe to Macworld but don't recommend it. It's at my door a week & a few days after my local book store has already had for about 2 weeks on display. Also the general news & reviews ain't all that.

8. Inno thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, pretty unified response!

Mac Life has a two issue trial thingee, so I went ahead and signed up!

9. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

also

You can also check with maclife.com
    sek

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

Another vote for MacFormat (UK).

I don't subscribe, but instead get it from the as a regular order from the local shop, 2-3 months late by the time it gets down here to New Zealand (if at all at the moment :(). Not as many adverts as the MacWorld magazines, more "fun" and readable, and the cover discs are often useful (if I had a DVD drive) ... BUT the guy doing the "help" letters page is a "nincompoop", to put it politely, who often answers the question wrongly or doesn't even actually answer the question at all (you sometimes wonder if they've printed the answer to a different letter!), but then what can you expect from an ex-Windows magazine writer. :rolleyes: