Mac Mail 7: Does it work on Mavericks server w/Home folders on server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kk05629, Dec 10, 2013.

1. kk05629 macrumors member

Greetings...Does any have mac mail 7 working in a user account that has it's home folders on a Mavericks server?

Hardware Environment: I have a Mavericks Server 3.01 running on a late 2012 Mac Mini Server. I set up an Open Directory Master on the server and have 2 client Macs (both Mavericks) that users log into and access their Home folders from the server. When a user logs in from a client mac...they can access their documents, photos, music, etc from what ever client mac they sign into the server from. Works as expected...except for the Mail app.

Details: When I log into user "A"'s account one the mac mini server, I set up the Mail app to the users Pop3 Verizon mail account. mail is retrieved fine. I can send mail... Seems to work great.

I log off user A's account on the mac mini server. I log into user A's account from a client iMac...open Mail. All email/folders are displayed (as I would expect since the mail data is stored in the users Home folder located on the server).

However, when attempt to "Get" new mail...I am presented with a dialog box to enter the password for the Verizon pop3 account. I enter it and it keeps prompting for the password.

When I look at the pop3 account details in mail preferences...the password field is empty.

When I log out of the imac client and re-log into the Server as user A...mail works fine. The pop3 account info is all there...the password field shows a value (masked of course)...but it is there.

It's like the mail preferences are no completely being "shared".

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

2. awair macrumors regular

Absolutely not an expert, but would like to use this option myself.

I believe your setup is good, but would question whether only the data files that are shared? Plist files may be forced as local, and keychain even more likely so.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Or how about a permissions issue.

3. kk05629 thread starter macrumors member

@Awair...

I am confident that the \Library\Containers\com.app.mail folder and the \Library\mail folders are shared properly as they are visible when I log on @ the physical Mac Mini Server and on a client mac. If I try to update Mail preferences from either the server or a client...those updates are made to these folders and are visible from another client when logged in as the user.

Does you (or anyone else) know how to "Completely" reset mail data? Is it as simple as deleting the \Library\Containers\com.apple.mail and \library\mail folders?

I swear I had this working until I imported the various mailboxes from a backup....though I have tried so many combinations of things...I cannot be certain what I did to get it working.

I am so close...I am going crazy!