Mac Mail - Abstract Characters When Recieved By Outlook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BEEFc58, Sep 19, 2007.

1. BEEFc58 macrumors member

Sep 6, 2007
    Sorry it this one has been posted before, but I did a search and did not find any threads that helped my problem.

Anyway, I recently switched over to Mac from PC for work (with Parallels installed), and have no problems except that I am finding out that my Mac Mail account is sending emails with abstract characters that I did not type. I have found that this is only the case for those using Microsoft Outlook (which is 95% of the world). I have seen examples of it when people reply, so I know that it is a continual problem.

First - When I sent emails out it was adding "?" to the end of sentences.

I did an internet search and found that others were having the problem, and that the Text Coding might be issue. A website through Mac ( stated a fix by changing the code of the text to automatically be Unicode (UTF-8).

I did the exercise, and now instead of a random "?", I have a random "B" at the end of sentences.

One thing that I did not do, which the page mentioned is "Making Plain Text", but for some reason, I cannot highlight that option.

Does anyone have any advice how I could fix this? It seems a little odd that this would be a problem, as I would assume that Mac would know that most people that will be receiving email, would use Outlook.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This is odd. I can't think of any reason why "Make Plain Text" should ever be disabled while you're composing a message.

First, go to Mail menu -> preferences -> fonts & colors. What is your message font defined as? I use Helvetica and it is not problematic. You could certainly try one you know Windows users will certainly have, like Arial....

If that doesn't help, as a stopgap (you should be able to send/receive rich text with Outlook no problem), try this: Mail menu -> Preferences -> Composing -> Composing: Message Format: Plain Text.