Mac Mail: Access to Exchange account after account deactivation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brock Landers, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Brock Landers macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently finished graduate school and have a few years of important information (emails, attachments) contained in my university exchange email account. The university will soon deactivate my account.

Will I still have access to everything that is in Mac Mail locally on my computer after the account is terminated? I notice that I can read and open attachments even when the computer is not online, so I am hopeful that I will retain the information.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

BL

2. thankins macrumors 6502

Yea you will. I would also recommend creating a mailbox "on you Mac" and dragging it all in there to be safe.

3. Brock Landers thread starter macrumors newbie

Great - thanks. Can you please clarify about dragging to a mailbox on my mac? Sorry , not very computer savvy.

4. thankins macrumors 6502

No worries - this should help you out

Open mail.app
    Click the little + button in the lower left hand corner - select new mailbox
    On the Location dropdown select "On My Mac"

Give it a name - called something like "Old School Email"

Then you will see it appear on the left hand sidebar - select all your Exchange emails and drag them to that folder.

Bam - you have all your old email stored locally on your machine. After you finish school you can go in and delete that mail account and the messages will still stay in the On My Mac mailbox you created