Mac Mail and Animations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clw51, Feb 16, 2010.

1. clw51 macrumors newbie

I am thinking about getting my first Mac computer. I am a graphic art hobbist and love to animate sig tags for my emails. I hear that in Mac Mail gifs do not animate. Is this true?

If so this is a disappointment! But not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any input!
    Connie

2. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

They do as far as I remember, but I haven't had an animated .gif sig for many years. The last time I used one was in OSX 10.4.11

Best I can say from memory is drag and drop said .gif into Mail > Preferences > Signatures and send a test email to a friend.

3. clw51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply: I did just that yesterday. Sent an animated .gif to my son who has a Mac and it did not animate in the email. He dragged it to Safari and it animated.

What a "pain" to see any animations I might be sent. I am in several animation groups and we send animations to each other all the time.

But like I said, this isn't a deal breaker, just curious to see if there is a way or setting to get animations to work in Mac Mail.

Thanks again!

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Why, oh why, would you torture your correspondents with an animated sig?

5. clw51 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL! I guess torture to some is pleasure to others! There are a lot of graphic artists out there who love animation. Believe me, it is not torture to everyone.

[​IMG]