Mac mail and hotmail????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daveman235, Feb 9, 2008.

1. daveman235 macrumors member

Hey Ya'll,

So i really would like to use mac mail, but I can't figure out how to sync it with my hotmail address. I have thunderbird and it works well with that, but i want the full mac experience.

I don't wanna get another email address. Does anyone know how to link a hotmail address with mac mail?????

Please help!!!!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

HttpMail works with some but not all Hotmail accounts, try it :)

3. daveman235 thread starter macrumors member

can't get it to work....:(

Anybody else have any ideas? I'm soooo sick of microsoft!

4. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

bite the bullet, and switch to Gmail.

that is what I did, got pretty lucky with a cool addy.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Get a Gmail account. Set your Hotmail email address to forward to your Gmail address. Set up Mail to use your Gmail account. In the 'email address' field of the account settings, enter your hotmail account.

I don't know of a reason that wouldn't work (works with every other service, but who knows about Hotmail). But that way, everyone still sees your Hotmail address, and you can still give it out, but you'll be actually using Gmail/Mail.

6. NicoleHenjum macrumors newbie

It's not possible to forward mail from hotmail to Gmail. I've tried, and it's not possible. Or am I doing something wrong?

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No need to use a workaround anymore. It now directly works via POP3. See Wikipedia.

8. macgrl macrumors 65816

I don't use hotmail personally, but do you have a paid for account with hotmail? They tend to be more generous with what you can do with your account when you pay lol You can forward to non-microsoft email accounts such as gmail and then use gmail with mail on your mac. Hotmail plus as they call it costs about $20 a year though.