Mac Mail and Hotmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gugy, Jul 21, 2009.

1. gugy macrumors 68030

I would like to use hotmail on my Mac Mail program.
    I was able to download my messages and send them BUT:

• My Hotmail have few folders on the InBox and I can't see it on Mac Mail.

• Once I read a Hotmail email message on Mac Mail it does not update on my Hotmail (server) account displaying that it has been read.

• When I delete a Hotmail message on my Mac Mail it does not update on my Hotmail (server) account.

It seems that on Mac Mail, I am only able to download messages and send them without syncing between my computer and their server.

Does anybody know how to address the issues above? I appreciate any feedback.

I am so fed up with Entourage, I would really want to make Mail work with Hotmail so I can ditch it forever.

2. Steve-M macrumors regular

In Mail go to preferences, accounts, advanced. Look for "Remove copy from server after retrieving message". Change from "After one week" to "Right away". While your there, click the Remove now button to clear all messages from your server.

Another option would be in Mail, in the lower left hand corner, the small button that looks like a asterisk, click it and choose "Get account info". From the window that opens you can see what is on your server, and or remove messages.

3. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks Steve-M,

But I want to have a copy on the server in case I need to access it remotely. In the way you describe it, I am losing a back-up in the server because the messages are deleted.

So it would be a syncing between Mail and Hotmail servers.
    Take care

I heard about a Gmal/Hotmail solution.
    Something like forwarding hotmail email to gmail and because Gmail uses IMAP it would sync with hotmail or something like that.

Does anybody know anything about that?

4. Steve-M macrumors regular

Hmmm... if you chose the "When moved from inbox" option, they would stay on your server until you removed them from your Mail inbox.

5. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks,
    I tried that but still not synchronizing on Hotmail servers.

6. mixitup2006 macrumors newbie

Hotmail inbox in server gone!

Hello I am having the same problem...

I wanted to syncronize my Macmail with Hotmail server.
    What I did was to opt the option "remove from server after downloading".

How can I transfer back all my messages back to the hotmail server?
    I rather have all my e-mail on hotmail server, because I access more often remotely...
    anyhelp? Please!!!

7. Vkrati macrumors newbie

A not that clean way would be sending one by one, or all .eml files from your own account to yourself.

Make sure the email then is not removed again from the server ofcourse.

8. mixitup2006 macrumors newbie

one by one

Yea I would do it one by one..except I have over 1000 e-mails...

what I did was contact msn support, hopefully they will be able to get all my deleted e-mails to the inbox again..I will keep updated.