Mac Mail & Attachments not attaching!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pilot Dave, May 18, 2008.

1. Pilot Dave macrumors newbie

My Dad (bless him) has a very strange problem on his new iMac.

When he clicks on New Mail and then attachments he will then select a file to attach, then Choose File it will not attach the attachment.

Nothing appears, and he sends the email to me and there is definitely no attachment.

I have been round to his and tried loads of things and it is definitely not working.

Anybody got any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks
    PD

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

When he is in Mail....with no new message window open, have him go to Edit -> Attachments. Is the option Always Insert Attachments at End of Message checked?

If so, I think this is a bug in Apple Mail. If you have the option selected, and you try to attach a file with NO text in the message, the file never gets attached. But if you just type a little bit of text, it attaches fine.

When you choose that option with no new mail message window open, it's a global change to Mail.

Have him check that.

-Kevin

3. trishiegail macrumors newbie

Thank you, Kevin!

I spent 2 hours searching the Apple website for help on this with no luck. I have been having to send files from my old networked computer with Outlook Express. Since I am a self-employed graphic artist I send a LOT of proofs. This will FINALLY save me the extra steps of having to go to the other computer and send files. You are a lifesaver!

4. quotemeas macrumors regular

This is correct

This is correct, if this option is checked and no text is in the body of the email message (i.e. not to include "Subject" or "To" lines), then the attachment will not attach. You must write in the body first (one letter will do) before attaching a file.

5. makaveli1 macrumors newbie

Hi there .

I have same problem with my mail.i cannot attach anything on my mail , on yahoo ,gmail .and i could not get your suggestion properly, could you please help me out on this one.
    Thank you
    S.Rai