Mac Mail & Blocking Images- Invasion of Privacy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pmcdn, Feb 19, 2009.

1. pmcdn macrumors regular

I have a new Macbook Pro and use Mac Mail. I want to figure out how to completely disable image downloads as I discovered that certain people I email with use an app called Message Tag, which embeds a small image into the message allowing them to be notified when I open their email.

I find this an invasion of privacy and want to be able to block this. I unchecked the box for "Display remote images in HTML messages" in the viewing section of my mail preferences, but I am not confident that this will solve the problem, as I don't know if their secret images are in HTML or not.

Any advice on how to block people from using this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a Windows-only app. It doesn't run on Mac OS X.

3. pmcdn thread starter macrumors regular

I know that it is a windows app. I'm not trying to run it on my mac. I want to block the images it sends from someone using it on me.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You've already done that by deselecting the “Display remote images in HTML messages” checkbox.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you are really paranoid about this you can use Little Snitch to completely block Apple Mail from making any connections other than those to your (hopefully) trusted e-mail servers. All other connections (both HTTP / HTTPS and E-mail) will be blocked.

6. mickeyc2 macrumors newbie

Good advice

That was very good advice. I've just discovered that even if you uncheck "Display remote images in HTML messages" Apple Mail will still load remote content from the html 5 audio and video tags in an html email. See https://secure.grepular.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/02/apple-mail-privacy-hole/