Mac Mail Blows up!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ollyfly, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ollyfly macrumors newbie

Or at least it will do if i cant get it to work!

How do i get mac mail to work when i am connected to my works network. Its one in use abroad by the HM Forces called WelComE Wifi by paradigm.

I can access hotmail directly as i have set up a Https proxy but my mac mail app does not want to play.

Can anyone please help!?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Depending on the ports blocked by the ISP, it may be a wasted effort to try configuring a Hotmail account. The Mail Setup Assistant lists port 995 for incoming, and port 587 for outgoing. If both are blocked you will never be able to send/receive emails while on that network. While most ISPs rarely block the ports for incoming email services, it is a fairly common practice to block ports for outgoing in an attempt to prevent spammers. The reason the web access isn't restricted is likely because the proxy forwards through port 80. You need to ask Paradigm whether either of those ports are blocked before you start trying to configure your email account in Mail.app

3. ollyfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for the reply!

Is it not possible to set up a Proxy to go around the firewall? I think the ports are infact blocked...

FLY