Mac Mail :: Can you?...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ollyclio, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ollyclio macrumors member

Ive had a pop address setup for my business (eg. sales@macolly.com, but the email server doesnt do imap. So i have the pop (sales@macolly.com) address at my office and ive setup a gmail account to be a kinda go between. The business pop account forwards the mail to the gmail which i then pick up at home/or where ever i am.
    In gmail you can setup something in accounts so if you reply to a customers email it looks like its come from the sales@macolly.com address, i have done this fine and it works fine if you log into gmail.

But i want to know if you can set this last bit in apples Mail app?
    (if you email from mac mail app you get the googlemail address to reply to and not the sales@macolly.com)

hope someone can help

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Are you looking for a simply "Reply To" functionality? or something that actually masks the address from which the mail actually originates (so that the recipient will have no idea from which account the email was actually send)?

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm not entirely sure I'm clear on what you're saying, but i'd be a little wary of using Gmail to change the address shown. I haven't used Gmail in a long time, but when I used it, I attempted to use this feature and the email address was shown as "x@gmail.com on behalf of x@x.x" similar to how Outlook Enterprise formats emails on behalf of another.

Just a warning, as it could look a bit unprofessional. :eek:

4. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

okk.. say the business email is sales@mac.com and the gmail email ive setup is mac@googlemail.com

bascially the sales@ email is a pop account, and thats on 1 computer (my office say) as the email server for that account doesnt have imap i cant have that pop account on 2 computers because the email will download to one machine (i think the email server is a bit basic, but i cant do much about it).

So ive set that email to forward to the gmail account i have setup. So all i want to happen is make it look like im always replying from the sales@mac.com address and mac@googlemail.com doesnt come up in the reply bit, but sales@mac.com will.

It works fine if i log into gmail via a web browser and im happy to do that, but i wanted to know if there was a way of doing this in mac mail.
    I know you can add a reply-to address and when u hit reply it will go to the sales@mac.com, but i wanted that address to show in the from line on the emails.

5. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

yeah i read that bit, and thought that but it didnt show up on some test emails, so im not sure what email accounts that shows up in.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ok, I got what you're saying now, and no, as far as I'm aware, you can't do this through Mail.app. Surely though, because it's done server-side with Gmail then it'll always do it regardless of whether you specify it to through Mail.app? On your accounts page on Gmail if it says the email address and then you've specified a different reply-to that'll happen all the time anyway. :)

7. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Can't you select this when composing the email message? In other words, when you click the Reply button, the From: line is actually a mini menu that you can use to select the desired From address that you want to show. Basically if you have set up 3 accounts to POP from, then you should have a choice of up to 3 From addresses to choose from.